On July 31, 2010 we welcomed a rescued beagle puppy into our home. She was between 10 and 12 weeks old and we named her Daisy.
Our first day with her
The drive home ~ she didn't like cars at first, but she's getting better. She prefers to be going fast and whines if you go slow (like 25 mph). I guess she takes after her mama ;)
Post-hiking Daisy aka our little beached whale
As for Puma, well they can co-exist. Daisy loves Puma and follows her around like the proverbial puppy dog. At first all Puma did was hide. She was definitely not a fan, but thankfully she wasn't mean to us. Now she'll play with Daisy, but on her own terms. Puma's favorite way of playing is to hide behind a wall or a door and jump at Daisy as she's looking for her. But, Daisy will just walk right up to Puma, which generally elicits a hiss from Puma. They're pretty hilarious to watch, but overall are doing well together.
Proof of coexistence
Other random facts about Daisy:
- I'm her favorite person and this makes Nate sad, but I'm with her all day so what do you expect...
- She has the longest tongue ever!
- As of now she understands "Sit", "No", "Not yours", "Come here", "Shake", "Lay Down" (if you touch the floor), "Go get it", "Bring it here", "Drop it", and "Let go"
- Her following said commands is all dependent on if she thinks she has too. For example, if she's running around loose in the tennis courts she doesn't listen to anything
- She likes to lick hands and feet, which is a great improvement over liking to bite
- She steals dryer sheets out of the bathroom trash
In a nutshell, that's our pretty pup. We like her! As a friend of ours put it, if our children are as well behaved as our dog we'll be in good shape :)