Thursday, July 22, 2010

"Her existence alone was excuse enough to justify the creation of the entire world."

Confession time.

I have become a Twilight fan.

I know, I know. It's ridiculous. I didn't want to read the books or see the movies or get dragged into the hype. Alas, thanks to my sister I have read the books, seen the movies, fallen in love with the story, and understand the hype.

The title of this post is a quote from Midnight Sun. There is only a draft version of it online and it is not complete, but it is Edward's version of Twilight. (For you non-Twilight fans, Twilight is about Edward and Bella told from Bella's point of view.) My sister reminded me of Midnight Sun the other day and so, of course, I set about reading it. The quote made me world stop spinning.

I said before, I understand the hype. I know why people love this story. They love it because it's an epic love story. They love it because of how deeply Edward loves Bella. His love is unconditional and self-sacrificial. Everyone is seeking for that kind of love and devotion. People were created for that kind of love.

"Her existence alone was excuse enough to justify the creation of the entire world."

That is how Edward views Bella.

That is how God loves you and me.

Imagine my surprise when I came across this sentence. Here I am reading a silly secular love story, only to be stopped dead in my tracks with Truth. The truth of the statement was overwhelming. I often forget just HOW MUCH God loves me. I forget that Jesus would have died on the cross, even if I was the only sinner.

It was refreshing to be reminded. It was like a cold shower on a hot day, being washed with the Truth. I hope it's as refreshing to you.

Your existence alone was reason enough for the Creator to create the entire world.

Your soul alone is precious enough to Jesus that He willingly died for it.

Believe it.

6 comments: